Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rock Music, Babysitting and Crepes

Random string of thoughts.

Last night, the husband and some friends went to a local German restaurant that has a rathskeller in the basement. We had a blast. We went because a guy from our synagogue was playing in a rock band. The place was packed - I had no idea that so many people in suburbia were clamoring to go out for live music on the weekends. On the other hand, duh.

There was a woman sitting on the side while the band played, bopping along. Ended up that she was one of the singers, but at first we thought she was a "party motivator". You know, one of those girls that come along with the DJ or band that drag people up to the front to dance or sing or just have fun. Within minutes of discussing why she was there, this woman came to our table and chose me to drag up front and play tamborine. And, the husband and my generous friends left me hanging and wouldn't come up with me. Eventually one of them did, but still. Feh.

Two of our friends have a boy and a girl about the same ages as the boy and the girl. Their kids stayed with ours while we were out. This marks the first time that the boy "babysat" with no supervision. He hasn't asked for money yet - let's see if we can get away with this. Exciting - we can go out without paying $9 an hour (!) for a babysitter. Usually that is the most expensive part of the evening.

(I have to rant for a second - when I babysat, I only made $1.50 an hour, sometimes $2. Dammit.)

Anyway, our friend's son is an infamous eater. He told me last night that he expected lots and lots of crepes for breakfast. Nice. But, I love crepes. This boy knows that I'm a sucker for crepes because I make them when we all go to the beach together. So it wasn't a hard sell.

I can eat crepes all day. Savory, sweet, whatever, they are one of my favorite foods. But you can only make one at a time and therefore I'm a slave to the oven when making them. I chose to make a double recipe, too, figuring I'd freeze some. But the kids loaded their crepes up with chocolate chips and ate most of them.

Me, I prefer French crepes, with just lemon and sugar.

We should go out more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel.