Thursday, January 1, 2009

Playing hooky from the family

I never do the girls night out thing. Not that I'm not up for it - I always am! - but never can synch schedules with others to actually get out. Today, two other ladies and I decided to run off to a matinee, and ended up staying out later than expected. It was fun, even if the husbands weren't too thrilled.

We saw "Twilight", very popular with teen girls lately, and it was better than I thought it would be. It's a hit book series, but I normally wouldn't know that because, well, I just don't read. The husband wanted to take the boy to this movie because it was about vampires, but I talked him out of it because mostly, it's a love story. But it had enough meat to keep me interested in the movie. But, what's up with vampires and baseball??

We then did something I never did before: We went to a "double feature". I know I've always been a goodie-two-shoes but I'm not quite sure why I never strolled in to see a second movie after watching a first. I mean, my parents do it, even! Anyway, I can check that off my "to do before I die" list, which I've been keeping for the past 20 years.

Armed with a second small bag of popcorn (which cost almost FREAKING $4), we went into the next theater. Not too difficult considering there are move than TWENTY movies playing at once in this theater. I texted the husband to let him know why we weren't coming back. Of course, he doesn't really text, so I ended up calling him to make sure he got the message.

The second movie we chose was "Seven Pounds". This movie was also mostly a love story. I had seen a short preview on Leno or something or other, but didn't really know what I was getting into. A very haunting movie about (*****SPOILER*****) why you shouldn't use your blackberry while driving. Or why you shouldn't work too much. Or why you should enjoy your life, every moment of it. I cry at everything, including commercials, so I was bawling for approximately 1/3 of this film. Will Smith rocks. And I'm going to lay off the blackberry in the car.

(***** END SPOILER *****)

The ladies and I continued to stay out and went for dinner at one of my favorite pan-asian places. Yum, roti canai, dumplings, thai spring rolls, stuffed eggplant, and more. Special sushi rolls next time!

Came home to the husband and kids watching scary movies on TV. Curled up on the couch with them - can't beat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel.