Saturday, January 3, 2009

An awesome gift after 50 years


I dug up my old Buffalo sweatshirt from the basement as the UB Bulls play their first-ever bowl game. I thought it was their first-ever invitation also. What I didn't know was that the UB Bulls actually were invited to a bowl game 50 years ago, in 1958. The team unanimously turned down that invitation and didn't get to play. The reason? There were two black players on the team, and the bowl game was in Florida, which still had segregation laws.

What an awesome, fitting tribute if the Bulls can win the first bowl game they've been invited to since then... 50 years later. Very cool not only that UB is on ESPN(2), but also that many of the players from the 1958 game are there today, including Willie Evans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel.