Saturday, January 3, 2009

Welcome to tofu

I made my first-ever tofu dinner tonight: Introducing Tofu and Broccoli stir-fry.


I had no idea if the kids would eat it. I mean, they actually like tofu, a very cool fact that I discovered recently... they ate it at a sushi restaurant when it was found in miso soup. But, it didn't look as appetizing when served in my house.

I decided to make stir fry because it's easy and also I knew that the flavors went well with tofu. I kind of made it up as I went along - a flaw I have because I usually screw things up that way. But it worked out this time. Broccoli and onions and scallions are pretty safe in my house. I cut the tofu into 1/2" pieces and kind of "seared" it to make it look good. I served it over fried rice made with egg, soy sauce and a little sugar. The black sesame seeds made it look a little prettier... to me, anyway.

At first, the girl said "What IS this?" I told her, "It's tofu, I know you like tofu." I got rave reviews from her about it (initially) - she said she especially liked the broccoli and the rice. Yeah, progress.

The boy came in later, looked at it and said "What IS this?" Ok, it's clear my kids are consistent. I said, "It's tofu, I know you like tofu." (I can be consistent too). The boy didn't say much, but he ate it all. Woo!

The husband ate it all also. Excellent, that's 4 for 4.

When I tried to get the girl to eat more tofu, she did say, "The tofu wasn't my favorite part. Next time, don't buy the humungous tofu pieces, buy the tiny pieces and make it in soup."

So, I will. Or maybe we'll just go for sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel.