Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year's resolutions, part deux.

Resolutions are notoriously useless. What's the point of making a resolution if you don't do it? All the best intentions, just sitting there never getting done. I'm talking to you, resolutions from January 2009.

Or maybe not! I actually didn't do TOO badly.
  1. I haven't blogged very often. Certainly not twice a week. So here I am back blogging. And I still love it. And it still helps with remembering the good things. And reading old blogs still makes me smile. So I still want to do it. Just need to be realistic about it.
  2. Slowly and softly? Yeah, not so much. Still issues with that one.
  3. The bus! I've got this one down! I usually get the girl on the bus these days, and never miss it. How proud am I?!? Yay!
  4. The procrastination. I actually have been working on this one. Not too bad but I've made some progress, I think.

I don't usually keep any resolutions I make. Even when they are great ideas and I use the word "hereby."

So. Resolutions should be actionable and measurable. Goals for life, just like goals for work. So am I making life into work? Maybe. But the only way you can achieve goals is if there are actions and if you can measure them. I don't have a decibal meter so I'm cutting that resolution, but I'll still try to work on it for the sake of everyone else.

So here are my goals for 2011.
  1. Return to the blogging. Once a month will be fine. Seriously. I just have to remember to start random posts throughout the month in order to remember what I want to blog about, and then post them when I have time.
  2. Smile more often. Just 'cause.
  3. Say no more often. Even if is not well received. I need to not care. It will be even better when following resolution #2 at the same time.
Yeah, even after I say I have to make goals measurable, two out of three are not. But realistically, I'm not going to write down whenever I'm smiling or saying no to keep track of how much I'm improving on it. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel.