Friday, January 7, 2011

No, it's not me.

The boy is a teenager. He's getting older, his voice is changing, and he is as well. Apparently he now sounds exactly like me. And it's not just that people ask me if they can talk to my mom when I answer the phone. Which has happened most of my adult life. But come to think of it, that hasn't happened in a while, so maybe my voice is changing too.

People think he's me when HE answers the phone. Everyone does. The mom. The friends. Even the husband. The kid loves it... he pretends he's me and listens either until he gets some info that he didn't know... or he gets bored. Freaks out most people. I had to tell the mom that she should ask some questions about trips we took when I was a kid... things the boy would never know... just to have a challenge-response confirmation before she actually started in conversation with me.

Today, I called the boy's cell phone to ask him something, and got his message.

Freaked me out... I heard myself talking but didn't remember making that message. Of course, it wasn't me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel.