Saturday, February 21, 2009

Heh, my son said "cheapass"

Thanks go out to my wonderful SIL and BIL, who bought the boy a slew of awesome games for his 12th bday. I am still having trouble dealing with the number 12... The teens are only a year away.

The games are mostly from Cheapass Games, which produces quality games with no fancy marketing or packaging. When the boy told me that his aunt and uncle got him like 10 games, I said "wow!" but then the boy said, "oh, they are cheapass." Nice. No offense should be taken because we love the games!

We played the non-cheapass game first: Girl Genius The Works. We've played this game before with the SIL and BIL. It is an imaginative card game where you have to get the "cogs" on the board to work together to your benefit. The boy loves it. And kicks my butt every time.

We also played Steam Tunnel several times. This is an abstract strategy scored card game that has some elements of Carcassone, some of Tsuro, and I'm sure other games too. I beat the boy by six points the first time, which just pissed him off. Made him figure out his strategies though, because the second time we played, he more than quadrupled my score. I think I'll be hard-pressed to beat him again. We tried to get the girl involved this time, but she wasn't interested. Next time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys are having fun! They were all cheapass...even Girl Genius (that's just one of their "nice" ones!) I wish they were still developing new games!

    You know, you've played a cheapass game before: Kill Dr. Lucky started out it's "life" as cheapass game, but was later reprinted by a different company as the real board game you have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a true cheapass aficionado!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel.