Sunday, December 28, 2008

Funky Latkes

I want to thank my wonderful SIL for the recipes for Cauliflower Latkes with Za'atar Aioli... both the original recipe and her version. The SIL is an awesome cook whose palatte has grown SOOO much since we first met her... when she would ONLY eat sweet and sour chicken!

Anyway, on the first night of Chanukah, she and I made the latkes and aioli together. Admittedly, we improvised a bit. Cooking the latkes proved to be an exercise in patience. They fell apart while cooking, over and over again. We tried very hard to modify the batter to save it, because they tasted sooo good, but never ended up with anything that looked presentable. Even so, every bit was eaten by the adults in the house (but not the kids).

So, here I am on the last day of Chanukah, with some cauliflower in the fridge. I grabbed the recipe and figured, it has to be better this time, right??!?

Not.

I mixed up the batter, and started frying the latkes, and each time the oil ate up every bit of the pancake before I could even try to flip it. Literally. The whole thing fell apart in the oil gradually, from the outside in. It's like it was a happy little fish being attacked by invisible piranhas.

I added another egg. Same thing.

I added more breadcrumbs. Same thing.

I added MORE breadcrumbs. Same thing.

I lowered the temperature of the oil. Same thing, but slower.

I blinked. What to do now? I had already made the aioli (with different spices, and homemade mayonnaise, yum). And I really really wanted the latkes.

Desperate, I added some flour. Some progress - they stayed together while flipping, at least.

I added more flour, and had some success. I'll be serving them now. They even look a little like the original photo from Bon Appetit! Hopefully the boy and the girl will eat them... I know the husband will.



Lessons for this recipe:
1. Make the pancakes SMALL.
2. Double the breadcrumbs.
3. Use large eggs.
4. Add 1/4 cup flour with the breadcrumbs.
5. Do not use very high heat.
6. Do NOT blend the cauliflower until smooth. I think that was the main issue with the whole thing.
7. Have a little luck, or be smart and follow the original recipe better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel.